Penmachno parish war memorial was unveiled on Saturday, April 5th, 1922; there are 27 names etched into the stone! A rather incomprehensible figure, but it must be considered that the population of the parish was much greater at that time (1559 in 1911 compared to 617 in 2011). This was mainly due to the numerous slate quarries on the mountain between Cwm Penmachno and Blaenau Ffestiniog. This industry was the reason for the existance of the village of Cwm, and maintained the numerous businesses in Penmachno itself.
Every one of Machno’s WW1 fallen were Welsh speakers, including at least 2 different sets of brothers. They died in all corners of the northern hemisphere — not just the Western Front. As far as we know, only 11 of the 27 have marked graves.