Bro Garmon

 

Bro Garmon is a vast rural area compassing the villages and communities of Melin y coed, Carmel, Nant y Rhiw, Nebo, Siloam and Capel Garmon. Bro Garmon’s (or ‘Llanrwst Rural, as it was called a century ago) western boundary runs along the river Conwy from near Padog up to the outskirts of Llanrwst, whilst its eastern boundary runs along the edge of the Hiraethog uplands.
The area lost at least 21 as a result of WW1, but a much greater number were effected. 15 from the Capel Garmon ‘ward’ are named on the cenotaph there (whilst one name is missing), 4 from Melin y coed ‘ward’ feature on a plaque in the chapel there, and one man from Carmel is on the Llanrwst Roll of Honour.

Hugh Evans, Glanwern

‘Hughie’ was one of four children of William (a Shepherd) and Hannah Evans, Glan y Wern (a house near the A5 between Carreg Coediog and Rhydlanfair).

> Hugh Evans’ profile

John Davies, 3 Mountain View

John was one of seven children of Robert and Elizabeth Davies (5 daughters and 2 sons- all born in Capel Garmon, as were their parents).
Mountain View terrace were quarrymens houses at the time, for workers at the small nearby slate quarry on Mynydd Garthmyn, and we see that the majority of the men living there are registered as quarrymen in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses- including John’s father and brother (Robert).

> John Davies’ profile

Edward Edwards, Stabl Mail

Born in 1885, the only son of Griffith and Jane Edwards. He had three sisters- Catherine Mary, Elizabeth and Ellen.
Stabl Mail Isa (also known as Garth Aran Cottage) the family home is now a ruin since the 1930s on the side of the A5, but at the time it was a rest stop for horses of the Mail Coaches.

> Edward Edwards’ profile

More details to follow…