Betws-y- coed is a ‘tourist honey-pot’ surrounded by both ancient and Forestry Commission woodland, located at the ‘junction’ of the rivers Llugwy and Conwy.
The original village centre developed around Pont y Pair mainly due to the comparitive growth of the nearby lead mining industry; the outskirt areas of Rhiwddolion and Pentre Du also appeared because of the local slate quarry of Hafod Las. In 1815, Thomas Telford constructed the pioneering iron-bulit Waterloo Bridge over the Afon Conwy; this carried the A5 trunkroad through the
village, and on to Holyhead. This lead to a substantial amount of transport-related development, as Betws became an important rest-stop.
Then, in 1868 the railway reached the village; this brought with it a huge growth in the tourism industry which has continued until the present day.
On a wooden tablet in the stately Memorial Hall, 17 men with Betws connections who died in WW1 are listed, although 5 of these — Edward Edwards, William Jones, David Owen, Owen Roberts and David Williams — also appear on the neighbouring parish’s memorial (Capel Garmon); they can be seen in that section of the website.